Your doctor has ordered a thyroid exam to evaluate the function of your thyroid. Please follow these simple instructions so that we may best serve you.
- Report to Radiology approximately 20 minutes before your scheduled time if you have not been contacted by the Admitting Office.
- It is important that you abstain from taking vitamins with minerals (specifically iodine or kelp) for two weeks prior to the exam.
- If you are taking thyroid medications, you must also abstain from taking this medication for two weeks prior to the exam.
- If you have had any x-ray exams or C.T. scans that required a contrast injection 4 to 6 weeks prior to the thyroid scan, please inform the technologist.
- You will be given a pill to swallow that contains a small amount of radioactivity.
- You will be asked to return 5 – 6 hours later for approximately 10 minutes.
- You must also return the following morning around 8:00 a.m. to do the scan and uptake. This scan takes approximately 45 minutes.
- Following this exam, there are no restrictions.