Your doctor has requested that an ultrasound exam be performed on your pelvis. Please follow these instructions so that we may better serve you.
An ultrasound machine produces a picture of your body using sound waves. A blunt device called a probe is placed on your skin.
- You may eat and drink anything you like on the day of your exam.
- 2 hours before your scheduled appointment time you should start drinking 1 quart of clear liquid (i.e. soda, water, juice or coffee).
- The liquid should be finished 1 hour before the exam.
- Once you have started drinking, you should not empty your bladder.
- You may experience some discomfort when your bladder fills. Unfortunately, we need you to have a full bladder for this exam.
- Report to Radiology approximately 20 minutes before your scheduled time if you have not been contacted by the Admitting Office.
- This exam will take approximately 15 minutes if your bladder is full. (It will take longer if we have to wait for your bladder to fill).
- Please let the technologist/receptionist know if your bladder feels too full to tolerate. They will try to make you as comfortable as possible.