Your doctor has ordered a thyroid therapy to slow the function of your thyroid. Please follow these simple instructions so that we may best serve you.
- Prior to the administering of the therapy dose, a pregnancy test will be done if you are of child bearing age.
- Report to Radiology approximately 20 minutes before your scheduled time if you have not been contacted by the Admitting Office.
- It is important that you abstain from taking vitamins with minerals (specifically iodine or kelp) for two weeks prior to the exam.
- If you are taking thyroid medications, please inform your physician. He may need to discontinue this medication.
- If you have had any x-ray exams or C.T. scans that required a contrast injection 4 to 6 weeks prior to the thyroid scan, please inform the technologist.
- The radiologist and your physician have decided the correct amount of medication (radioisotope) to administer.
- A consent form for radioiodine therapy will be obtained.
- You will be given a pill to swallow that contains a small amount of radioactivity.
- Following this treatment, there will be certain precautions. They will be explained to you in more depth prior to your treatment.