Your doctor has requested that pictures of your stomach and upper G.I. tract be taken. Please follow these simple instructions so that we may best serve you.
- Enjoy your supper.
- Do not eat or drink anything after 8:00 p.m. You may take your medications with a sip of water.
- Report to Radiology approximately 20 minutes before your scheduled time if you have not been contacted by the Admitting Office.
- You will be asked to drink barium and as you are drinking, the technologist and radiologist (x-ray doctor) will take pictures. This exam may take approximately 1 hour.
- Eat normally after your exam, however, you will need to force fluids for 24 hours unless you have been advised to restrict fluids for medical reasons.
- If your doctor has also requested a small bowel series, you may be required to drink additional barium and pictures will be taken at certain times. If you are also having a small bowel series in addition to your G. I. series, the exam may take several hours.