Your doctor has ordered a bone scan to evaluate bone functions. Please follow these simple instructions so that we may best serve you.
- There is no preparation for this exam.
- Report to Radiology approximately 20 minutes before your scheduled time if you have not been contacted by the Admitting Office.
- You will receive a small injection of a radioactive material that will be absorbed by the bones. Depending on your symptoms, we may start imaging immediately after injection.
- The material takes approximately 2 1/2 hours to be absorbed by the bones. The technologist will give you a time to return to the Nuclear Medicine Department for the completion of the scan.
- The routine bone scan lasts 30-40 minutes. SPECT imaging may be done in addition to the bone scan upon the radiologist’s request. SPECT imaging will take approximately 45 minutes to one hour where you will be asked to hold very still and a camera will rotate around you while taking images.
- Following the exam you may resume normal activities.