Your doctor has requested that an ultrasound of your pregnancy be done. Please follow these simple instructions so that we may better serve you.
An ultrasound machine produces a picture of your body using sound waves. A blunt device called a probe is placed on your skin.
- Please drink approximately 1 quart of clear liquid and have it finished 1 hour before your scheduled exam time.
- Do not empty your bladder once you start drinking. We need you to have a full bladder for the exam, however, we do not need you to drink quite as much if you are nearing the end of your pregnancy.
- Please understand that we know you and your family are very excited about viewing the newest member of your family, however, the technologist’s first concern is to evaluate your pregnancy thoroughly. Therefore, the first part of the exam will be done with just you and the technologist in the room.
- Your family members will be allowed in the exam room after the technologist has evaluated the pregnancy and taken the appropriate measurements.
- The total exam time is approximately 45 minutes.
- Report to Radiology approximately 20 minutes before your scheduled time if you have not been contacted by the Admitting Office.