Your doctor has ordered a scan to check for any additional abnormal thyroid cells in your body. Please follow these simple instructions so that we may best serve you.
- Prior to your exam, you must abstain from any thyroid supplements or vitamins with minerals. Your physician will instruct you about your medications.
- You will also need to have bloodwork drawn and need these results prior to your scan.
- Report to Radiology approximately 20 minutes before your scheduled time if you have not been contacted by the Admitting Office.
- You will be given a pill to swallow that contains a small amount of radioactivity.
- After receiving the medication, there will be certain guidelines that we ask you to follow. They are listed on the back of this sheet and will be explained to you in more depth prior to your treatment.
- Seventy-two hours after taking the pill, you will be scanned. The technologist will set up this appointment for you. The scan will take approximately 2 1/2 hours.
- You may be asked to return for additional scans.
- The radiologist will notify your physician with the results of the test. Do Not take any thyroid medications until you hear from your physician.